MSc Advanced Computer Networks
- Mediterranean College is highly specialised in Networks & Security studies.
- The programme stands out for its emphasis on the design, deployment, management, maintenance and security of wired and wireless Networks.
- The course follows the industry-recognised CISCO Certified Network Professional (CCNP) Routing and Switching.
- Students’ practical skills develop even further by using our Cisco certified networking laboratories.
- This course is taught by top computer network scholars, specialists, and active industry professionals.
- Students produce high-level research that can lead to publications in international conference proceedings and scientific journals.
Advanced Computer Networks
Communicating networks link the world of computing and telecommunications; computer networking, the internet, and mobile communications are amongst the most highly sought-after skills in the computing industry nowadays. This programme has been developed in consultation with leading employers and in accordance with industry demands to ensure the content is relevant and up-to-date.
You will study the methods and techniques used to plan, configure and verify the implementation of complex enterprise network switching and routing solutions. You will develop a critical and in-depth awareness of the theory, methods, and issues involved in the design, development, and deployment of modern wired and wireless networks. The course will focus on secure networking systems and examine advanced concepts in ethical systems penetration, attack signature detection, and mainstream network protection methods.
Information governance and law is of increasing importance; therefore, you will critically evaluate issues of good governance in the context of the design, deployment, operation, and management of information and information systems.
A highlight of this course is that it follows the most important aspects of the industry-recognised CISCO Certified Network Professional (CCNP) Routing and Switching, which will develop your practical skills even further by using our networking laboratories.
The programme addresses:
- Graduates of Higher Education Institutions, Colleges or overseas Universities in a Computing discipline.
- Non-University graduates, holders of vocational training certificates (from Vocational Training Institutes (IEK) or HND or equivalent), having significant work experience in Computing.
Requirements for registration:
- Copy of the last studies certificate *
- CV (in English)
- Reference Letters (2)
- Good knowledge of English (IELTS 6.5 level or equivalent) **
- Academic interview
- Photos (2)
- Copy of ID-card/ passport
* Candidates without a first degree in computing are also encouraged to apply for the programme. Factors such as the possession of a degree in other disciplines or other professional qualifications, proven experience in computing, and commitment to continuing personal & professional development may contribute to the admission to the programme.
** Candidates without official English language certificates can sit the English language placement test of Mediterranean College.
The programme comprises of six 20-credit modules and a diploma thesis of 60 credits and is offered either on a full-time or a part-time mode. The course follows the syllabus of the CISCO CCNP; for those who are not already qualified to CCNA you will have the opportunity to study the CCNA syllabus if required. The whole programme is brought together by an in-depth project through the Independent Scholarship module in an area of your choice, which may be focused on your current role if you are studying part time, or in an area where you see your career developing.
You will learn through lectures, tutorials, seminars, discussion groups, practical sessions, presentations and blended learning. You will gain theoretical and practical skills using our specialised Cisco Academy network laboratories. During the course, you will follow the CISCO CCNP syllabus (CCNA material available), which means your practical skills will be developed even further.
You will be assessed by a mixture of coursework and examinations. There will be a range of coursework options including analytical essays, technical reports, research papers, case studies, multi-task portfolios and presentations.
An essential part of the programme is the final project (Independent Scholarship), in which students can produce high-level research on a particular topic of their interest, under the supervision of an experienced tutor, which can lead to publications in conference proceedings or scientific journals.
The learning experience is further enriched through the activities of the School of Computing.
- It is the only postgraduate programme in Greece on advanced computer networks and it stands out because it provides the students with the vital skills in designing, implementing, maintaining, managing, and securing wired and wireless networks, thus creating well-rounded professionals.
- The course follows the syllabus of the CISCO CCNP for those who have already obtained the CCNA. Students that are not qualified to CCNA will have the opportunity to study the CCNA syllabus. Students can pursue all major Cisco certifications with subsidised fees at the Mediterranean College Cisco Academy.
- The course is delivered in large-scale network simulators, in the Cisco Academy Certified Labs, where students get in touch with Cisco devices which will later use in the industry (since Cisco is the largest networks equipment supplier worldwide).
- Students are assessed through professionally oriented methods, including analytical essays, technical reports, research papers, case studies, multi-task portfolios and presentations.
- Students pursue high-level research on a particular topic of their interest, under the supervision of an experienced tutor, which can lead to publications in conference proceedings or scientific journals.
- Academic staff are all active scholars and/or industry professionals with substantial experience in networks and are also accredited lecturers of the University of Derby for every module they teach. Mediterranean College implements an integrated system of recruitment, assessment and continuing professional development of academic staff, so that students receive excellent teaching and personal support to develop their social and professional skills.
- Mediterranean College places particular emphasis on the academic support of undergraduate students: students receive regular feedback on their academic progress; students have full access to the College’s libraries and electronic resources, whilst the educational processes are fully supported by the Mediterranean College’s e-class
- Mediterranean College has developed an integrated Employability plan, the MC Employability Scheme, focused on the contemporary needs of our Computing students: career counseling and professional development, regular guest lectures, real projects, seminars, networking events, employability fair, internship scheme.
- The University of Derby (Guardian University Guide 2020) is a TOP-26 UK University, is in the TOP-10 for student employability and is rated Gold in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF). This stems from constantly developing the curriculum as directed by employers, professional and accreditation bodies.
Graduates of the programme, according to Greek legislation, are holders of an accredited master’s degree, professionally equivalent to those awarded by Greek State Higher Education Institutions. If they wish so, they can have their degree recognised by the Greek authorities. Click here for more information on the degree recognition procedure.
Throughout the course, students cover the basic theory and practice through the lab sessions for the CCNP certification, which they can acquire after a short preparation and exams. In case they are not qualified for the CCNP level, they can first study for the CCNA at Mediterranean Professional Studies. In this way they can make the most out of their time at the College, and along with a powerful postgraduate degree, also add extra elements in their skills set.
Graduates have excellent employment and earnings potential as prospects include working for network consultancy companies, providing in-house network design, support and management. There is also a growing demand for specialists in network security and network programming. Alternatively, they may undertake further research leading to a PhD.
The 3 years I studied at Mediterranean College, I had the opportunity to further my knowledge and develop a range of personal and professional skills. I also learned how to work as a team to accomplish our goals. All the academic and administrative staff were really supportive and helpful....
Georgios Choutsisvilli, BSc (Hons) Computer Science.
Studying at the University of Derby was an interesting experience, the level of studies is really good but most of all we met people that we became good friends with. I wish all the best for their life and career....
Dimitrios Pozaritis, BSc (Hons) Computer Science
My time at the College was great. I made some great friends there who helped me overcome many problems. I learned a lot from my time there and I want to thank my teachers for supporting me throughout these three years....
Christos Avgerinos, BSc (Hons) Computer Science