Depending on where you travel from, a plane ticket to Greece can cost from 30.00 euros with low budget airlines to 1,000 euros or more if you travel from overseas. We advise you to book your ticket as soon as you receive your Letter of Acceptance or your student visa (non-EU students).
You will also need to apply for a residence permit in Greece within 40 days since your arrival. The fee is 150.00 euros.
Estimate that you will need 50 to 100 euros per week for food. You may need a bit more if you like eating out frequently and a bit less if you prefer cooking your meals in your campus kitchen.
You may also need approximately 200.00 euros for books and educational supplies. However, you can avoid this cost since you have access to the whole study material through the College’s Library, the Online Library and the Electronic Library and services such as the MC Class and the Blackboard.
The monthly card for unlimited access to buses and the metro around Athens is 45.00 euros Alternatively, you can use a bicycle or even walk, if your apartment is close to the campus.
Weekly costs for postage, stationery, local phone calls and other miscellaneous expenses can run 20.00 to 30.00 euros per week. For entertainment, add another 25.00 euros.
Expenses during vacation and public holidays
Your expenses will vary greatly depending on how you wish to spend your vacation. Your choices are limitless since Greece is famous for its touristic destinations. Whether you choose the mountains or the islands, Greece offers a wide range of options for you to explore during your stay, as an international student.
Below we provide you with a list of the Greek Public Holidays. We encourage you to explore them and to make the most of it in each local celebration.
- New Years Day: 1st of January
- Epiphany: 6th of January. Sea water is consecrated in the area of Piraeus. The priests throw the Cross into the sea and young men dive to catch it.
- Lent Monday: 41 days before Easter. It is the day people begin the Lent. On Lent Monday Greeks fly kites, eat meatless food and celebrate Koulouma. Athenians gather on Philopappou Hill.
- Independence Day and Celebration of Evaggelismos: 25th of March. Military parade.
- Easter: From Holy Friday until Easter Monday. In the evening of Good Friday, every church decorates the Epitaph (Bier of Christ). There is the procession of the Epitaph on the streets of every city or village in the country which are full of people. It is a religious procession where everybody holds lit candles in their hands and sing hymns.
- Holy Saturday: The Resurrection of Christ. Church service are held on the eve before Easter with a wonderful display of candles and fireworks.
- Easter Sunday: On Easter Sunday Greeks eat spit roasted lamb. The celebrations include singing and dancing all day long.
- Labour /May: 1st of May. Flower feasts all around Athens.
- Pentecost: It is celebrated 50 days after Easter.
- Assumption of the Virgin Mary: 15th of August.
- 28th of October: National Celebration. Military parade.
- Christmas: 25th-26th of December.
List of indicative prices for basic products and services Food and Drinks:
- 0.50 ltr bottle of water: 0.50 €
- 1 litre of bottle of water: 1.00 €
- Take away coffee: from 1.00 €
- Cappuccino coffee at a café: 3.50-5.00 €
- A refreshment at a kiosk: 0.90-1.50 €
- A refreshment bought from a supermarket: 0.50- 1.50 €
- Drink at a bar: from 3.00 €
- Drink at a “club”, “disco”: from 6.00 €
- Sandwich or Toast: from 2.00-2.50 €
- Greek “Gyros” or “Souvlaki” Sandwich: small from 1.80 €, big from 2.50 €
- Greek salad: 4.00 €
- Meal for one at an inexpensive restaurant: 8.00-12.00 €
- Meal for two at a normal restaurant: 30.00 €
- Combo meal at fast food chains: 6.50 €
- Apartment (1 bedroom): from 150.00 € per month
- 1,5 hour ticket for all means of transport: 1.40 € (Athens)
- Monthly pass for all means of transport: 34.22 €
- Taxi (5km within centre): 6.00 €
- Basic (Electricity, Gas, Water, Garbage): 50 €/month
- Internet (24Mbps, Flat rate, Wireless or Cable/ADSL): from 6.00 €
- Museum Tickets: 4.00 – 12.00 €
- Cinema Tickets: 4.50 – 10.00 €
- Mobile top up: from 5.00 €