Expenses during vacation and public holidays
- New Years Day: 1st of January
- Epiphany: 6th of January. Sea water is consecrated in the area of Piraeus. The priests throw the Cross into the sea and young men dive to catch it.
- Lent Monday: 41 days before Easter. It is the day people begin the Lent. On Lent Monday Greeks fly kites, eat meatless food and celebrate Koulouma. Athenians gather on Philopappou Hill.
- Independence Day and Celebration of Evaggelismos: 25th of March. Military parade.
- Easter: From Holy Friday until Easter Monday. In the evening of Good Friday, every church decorates the Epitaph (Bier of Christ). There is the procession of the Epitaph on the streets of every city or village in the country which are full of people. It is a religious procession where everybody holds lit candles in their hands and sing hymns.
- Holy Saturday: The Resurrection of Christ. Church service are held on the eve before Easter with a wonderful display of candles and fireworks.
- Easter Sunday: On Easter Sunday Greeks eat spit roasted lamb. The celebrations include singing and dancing all day long.
- Labour /May: 1st of May. Flower feasts all around Athens.
- Pentecost: It is celebrated 50 days after Easter.
- Assumption of the Virgin Mary: 15th of August.
- 28th of October: National Celebration. Military parade.
- Christmas: 25th-26th of December.
List of indicative prices for basic products and services Food and Drinks:
- 0.50 ltr bottle of water: 0.50 €
- 1 litre of bottle of water: 1.00 €
- Take away coffee: from 1.00 €
- Cappuccino coffee at a café: 3.50-5.00 €
- A refreshment at a kiosk: 0.90-1.50 €
- A refreshment bought from a supermarket: 0.50- 1.50 €
- Drink at a bar: from 3.00 €
- Drink at a “club”, “disco”: from 6.00 €
- Sandwich or Toast: from 2.00-2.50 €
- Greek “Gyros” or “Souvlaki” Sandwich: small from 1.80 €, big from 2.50 €
- Greek salad: 4.00 €
- Meal for one at an inexpensive restaurant: 8.00-12.00 €
- Meal for two at a normal restaurant: 30.00 €
- Combo meal at fast food chains: 6.50 €
- Apartment (1 bedroom): from 150.00 € per month
- 1,5 hour ticket for all means of transport: 1.40 € (Athens)
- Monthly pass for all means of transport: 34.22 €
- Taxi (5km within centre): 6.00 €
- Basic (Electricity, Gas, Water, Garbage): 50 €/month
- Internet (24Mbps, Flat rate, Wireless or Cable/ADSL): from 6.00 €
- Museum Tickets: 4.00 – 12.00 €
- Cinema Tickets: 4.50 – 10.00 €
- Mobile top up: from 5.00 €