MSc Civil Engineering and Construction
TOP30 UK University (Guardian Guide, 2020).
Designed in consultation with leading Organisations.
Academic staff consists of active professionals & researchers.
Modern facilities & labs.
The MSc Civil Engineering and Construction is a unique and particularly contemporary course of study, that encompasses knowledge from all areas related to the Civil Engineer profession and includes modules that teach the latest industry developments and their application on real Engineering problems. Its aim is to equip students with the necessary technical skills and theoretical background for the design and construction of new, complex infrastructures or the reinforcement of existing constructions.
At the same time, the programme provides students the opportunity to carry out their own research, under the supervision of experienced tutors, which can lead to publications in academic journals and participation in international conferences, or be used by collaborating companies during the design and construction of real projects.
The programme addresses university graduates with a first degree in Civil Engineering or a similar discipline.
Requirements for registration:
- Copy of undergraduate degree
- Copies of professional qualifications and work experience documentation (if available)
- CV in English
- Reference Letters (2)
- Adequate knowledge of English (IELTS 6.5 or equivalent)*
- Academic Interview
- Photos (2)
- ID-Card/ passport
* Candidates without official English language certificates can sit the English language placement test of Mediterranean College.
The course can be completed in 1 year (full-time October start), in 1,5 year (full-time February start) or in 2 years (part-time). It includes six 20-credit modules and a diploma thesis of 60 credits. The modules are delivered on a semester basis.
Students specialise on contemporary applications of the Civil Engineering science, such as sustainable infrastructure design, flood risk assessment, sustainable construction materials and methods, environmental risk assessment, project management strategies & techniques, anti-seismic design of steel and reinforced concrete structures, earthquake engineering.
A significant advantage of this course is that as part of their final thesis, students work at a high research level and – under the supervision of experienced academics – produce projects that can lead to publication in international conferences.
|Semester 1||Semester 2||Semester 3|
Mediterranean College aims to provide students a multi-dimensional learning experience. Learning and teaching is achieved through different means:
- Lectures, to cover theory.
- Seminars, to solve problems and discuss case studies.
- Computer labs, to design and train in special simulation software.
- Clinics (supporting classes), to tackle the most difficult parts of the modules.
- Tutorials, to provide one-on-one support to students.
- Independent learning, where students engage in self-directed study.
Students are assessed through:
- Individual course work.
- Group course work, for more complex projects that require teamwork.
- Presentations of course work, to enhance students’ presentation skills.
- On line tests, to assess knowledge of theory and problem solving capability.
Student learning is further enhanced through:
- Guest lectures, by industry experts who provide contemporary professional expertise and invaluable networking opportunities.
- Supervised independent study, where students research particular industry problems and propose the implementation of original and innovative solutions. The best student projects can be led to international conference publications, under the guidance of experienced academic supervisors.
- Lectures and Forums, that focus on relevant and applied fields of Civil Engineering and are supported by leading companies, public and private organisations and prominent professionals.
- The annual Student Excellence Conference of Mediterranean College, where best student projects are presented to students, staff and potential employers.
- Students acquire knowledge from all core Civil Engineering fields: Structures, Hydraulics, Infrastructures, and Construction Management. This balanced course content leads to flexible, highly competitive and well-rounded professionals.
- The course includes innovative modules for Greek standards, such as Flood Risk Engineering Management and Environmental Risk & Responsibility before the construction of any project. Students are trained in fields that are not widely spread and become highly sought-after in the job market.
- Students use various software simulation applications, such as Matlab and SAP2000. This knowledge gives them a competitive advantage for their future employment.
- Students are assessed mainly through written coursework that involves real industry case studies (e.g. anti-seismic design of steel and concrete structures, structural assessment and reinforcement of existing buildings, applying smart management systems on existing buildings, etc).
- Students produce individual research on contemporary Civil Engineering aspects, which – under the guidance of their experienced academic supervisors – can lead to publications in international conferences or academic journals.
- Mediterranean College puts emphasis on the academic support of students and the learning process is facilitated through the University and College e-learning platforms that provide access to thousands of academic journals and e-books in the Engineering field.
- Mediterranean College has developed an integrated Employability plan, the MC Employability Scheme, focused on the contemporary needs of our Engineering students: career counseling and professional development, regular guest lectures, real projects, seminars, networking events, employability fair, internship scheme.
- All academic staff are accredited lecturers of the University of Derby for every module they teach. Mediterranean College implements an integrated system of recruitment, assessment and continuing professional development of academic staff, so that students receive excellent teaching and personal support to develop their social and professional skills.
- The University of Derby (Guardian University Guide 2019) is a TOP-18 UK University and in the TOP-10 for student employability. This stems from constantly developing the curriculum as directed by employers, professional and accreditation bodies.
Graduates may apply for registration with a UK professional body (e.g. ICE – Institution of Civil Engineers) or to apply for the professional recognition of their degree in Greece.
MSc Civil Engineering and Construction graduates can seek employment in:
- Technical/ construction companies & agencies
- Engineering planning & consulting agencies
- Construction materials & machine trading companies
- Repair companies
- Workshops and laboratories
- Consulting agencies
and as self-employed Civil Engineers
Graduates may also seek employment overseas or pursue further study towards a doctorate degree.
My experience at the College taught me many things that will help me in my professional career. Among those things are consistency and an ethical approach to the work place. I would like to take this opportunity to thank all my tutors for the excellent work they performed, which has made my studies painless, leaving a very pleasant experience and a feeling that my efforts were worthwhile....
Diogenis Vakontios, BSc (Hons) Mechanical Engineering
An exciting period of my life came to an end. It was three unforgettable years through which I gained the necessary knowledge on the subject of Mechanical Engineering. Among the various events, visits and workshops that I attended with my classmates, in a climate of cooperation and a common purpose, I completed my studies at Mediterranean College. There was a genuine cooperation between the College staff and students, who...
Aggelos Fois, BSc (Hons) Mechanical Engineering
I'd never go anywhere else, because I would be bored, there's so much things to do as a mature student, the college is amazing, the people are great and you never get bored!...
Andreas Lazarides, BSc (Hons) in Civil Engineering