BSc (Hons) Sports Science and Coaching
- The only BSc degree in Greece that combines Sport Science, Physical Education & Sports Coaching.
- The degree is awarded by the University of Derby, a TOP 26 UK University (Guardian University Guide 2020) and No1 among UK Universities represented in Greece.
- A four-year programme, mapped against the curriculum of Greek State Universities, in order to ensure professional accreditation.
- The programme has been designed according to the British Association of Sports & Exercise Science (BASES) standards to enable graduates register with the Association.
- It includes theoretical & practical training in all key sports and provides students the opportunity to specialize in their preferred sport.
- The College has formed strategic collaborations with the largest sports clubs in Greece, such as Olympiakos and PAOK and with Philoktitis rehabilitation center.
- The programme prepares bilingual professionals with international career prospects.
- Students engage with academic research and participate in scientific conferences.
The BSc (Hons) Sport Science and Coaching programme provides students with a comprehensive understanding of Sports & Exercise Science and Physical Education. The programme, also prepares sports coaches, able to train from early-age students to high-profile athletes.
The programme is designed to offer a combination of theoretical & practical knowledge in the following areas:
- All major scientific areas of Sports Science (Anatomy, Physiology, Psychology, Biomechanics, Research Methodology), according to the British Association for Sports & Exercise Sciences (BASES) standards.
- Theoretical & Practical courses in Physical Education to improve students’ sports teaching skills.
- Specialist Sports Coaching modules that improve students’ coaching skills, with a more comprehensive approach on their specialism sport.
- Contemporary modules that provide a rounded, scientific perspective to the course, such as Sport Performance Analysis, Sports Nutrition, Injury Rehabilitation and Sports Medicine.
Graduates have the ability to work as Physical Education Teachers, Well-being Trainers and High-Performance Athlete Coaches.
The programme is addressed to High School graduates who wish to follow a career as coaches, trainers and physical education tutors.
Entry requirements for Year 1
- High School leaving certificate (Apolyterion) from a General or Vocational Senior High School (or equivalent)
- Reference Letter (1)
- Intermediate English language competency (IELTS 4.0 or equivalent)
- Academic Interview
- Copy of ID-Card/ passport
- Health certificate
Candidates without official English language certificates can take the English language placement test of Mediterranean College.
Entry requirements for Year 2
- IEK Diploma (Institute of Vocational Training) in Sports Coaching
- Reference Letter (1)
- Good English language competency (IELTS 5.0 or equivalent)
- Academic Interview
- Copy of ID-Card/ passport
- Health certificate
The programme is a combination of theory and practical training and practice at the College’s labs and collaborating sports centers. The cornerstone of the course’s practical component is the Sports Teaching & Training: Theory & Practice module, which incorporates teaching and training in all core sports. Students are assessed in multiple formats, including coursework (essays, reports, case studies), presentations, oral exams, research posters. A small part is assessed through written exams or tests and quizzes.
||Έτος 3||Έτος 4|
|Intro to Anatomy for Sport & Exercise||Sports Coaching Theory & Practice||Biomechanical Assessment||Applied Sport Science|
|Academic & Applied Skills||Principles of Sport Biomechanics||Nutrition & Metabolism for Sport & Exercise||Advanced Sports Coaching (Specialism Sport)|
|Coaching & Skills Acquisition||Physiological Assessment||Injury Rehabilitation for Sport & Exercise
|Adaptive Coaching Theory & Practice|
|Physical Education Theory and Practice||Research Methods for Sport & Exercise||Sports Teaching & Training: Theory & Practice||Sports Medicine|
|Principles of Sports & Exercise Physiology||Sport Performance Analysis||Independent Study|
|Principles of Sports & Exercise Psychology||Sport & Exercise Psychology|
|English for Health & Sports Sciences I||English for Health & Sports Sciences I|
- The degree is awarded by the University of Derby, a TOP-26 UK University (Guardian University Guide 2020).
- It is a unique programme in Greece, as it combines three areas of expertise:
- Sport & Exercise Science,
- Physical Education,
- Sports Coaching.
- The programme is taught first in Greek and then in English, to allow a smooth transition for students. The English language modules, offered during the initial two years of study, focus on Academic English and English for Specific Purposes (subject related, covering terminology). The bilingual nature of the course develops bilingual, highly skilled Sports Scientists, who are competitive in the international job market and can pursue further academic study anywhere in the world.
- Students develop their practical skills in the College’s in-house physiology and rehabilitation laboratories and in the collaborating external sports facilities.
- The programme includes a semester-long practical training component, during which students acquire basic teaching and training skills across a variety of sports. The practical training takes place in external, collaborating sports facilities.
- The School of Health & Sports Science sustains a strategic collaboration with the largest sports clubs in Greece, such as Olympiakos and PAOK.
- Teaching and learning is achieved by multiple means: lab practical sessions, role-plays, guest lectures by experienced professionals, presentations, research projects, case-studies etc. The programme’s emphasis on research benefits students, not only in the prospect of post-graduate study, but also in relation to their future professional development.
- A personal tutor is assigned to every student, aiming to provide them with dedicated academic support and to help them develop their Personal Development Plan (PDP). Students receive feedback on their progress, have access to extended electronic resources and college facilities. Counselling services are available to students who face learning or psychological difficulties.
- Staff who teach in this course are granted with an accredited lecturer status by the University of Derby. Mediterranean College in collaboration with the University applies an integrated staff development scheme, ensuring that students have an excellent teaching experience and support.
- Students participate in the activities of the MC Employability Scheme, an integrated employability development plan that prepares them to compete in the competitive job market.
Upon completion of the programme graduates:
- gain a deep understanding of Sports Science.
- are specialized as physical education tutors and sports coaches.
- are capable of training amateur or professional athletes and sport teams.
- are able to adjust to any coaching circumstances.
- have the capacity to analyze trends and apply coaching techniques and methods, accordingly.
- have the knowledge to apply training techniques and activities to disabled populations.
Graduates may choose to continue further their study at Mediterranean College, in the following fields:
- Sports Management
- Health Psychology
- Sports Physiotherapy
Alternatively, they can pursue a Master’s degree in Sports Science or relevant areas, such as Ergophysiology, Sports Psychology, Sports Rehabilitation, Sports Nutrition.
Graduates may work as coaches or managers in:
- Sports Academies
- Sports Clubs & Societies
- Athletic Clubs specialized in disabled people training
I truly loved attending the classes for the Health Management programme. The courses were really interesting and the teachers made great effort to transmit their knowledge, which I honestly appreciate. Last but not least, my fellow students made last year more enjoyable and fun with their presence during classes! Thank you everyone for the great experience!...
Igodaro Victor, Executive Diploma in Health Care Management
In the Physiotherapy department of Mediterranean College we connect what we learn in theory into practice, through workshops and practical courseworks. From the second year and beyond, every year, the programme content includes clinical practice. All this, combined with our teachers who help us, support us and are experienced in what they teach, makes me feel confident about my skills as a physiotherapist....
Efitichia Proniou, BSc (Hons) Physiotherapy
The vast experience of Mediterranean College, along with the name of a renowned British university, the Manchester Metropolitan University, were essential selection criteria of this studies programme. The College’s learning facilities are robust and they organise too many education activities to enrich our knowledge. We look forward to starting our clinical practice in the College’s cooperating hospitals and rehabilitation centers....
Apostolis Kaliakoudas, BSc (Hons) Physiotherapy