MA Education: Leadership & Management
- The only English Master’s Degree in Greece on Leadership & Management of Educational Institutions
- University of Derby holds the first place among competitors in Greece in Education studies (among British Universities represented in our country) and the 18th place among all British Universities
- Professionally equivalent to Master’s Degree from Greek State Universities (accepted at ASEP)
- Part-time route adapted to teachers, professionals and practitioners
- Highly interactive and taught by experienced professionals from different areas in Education (Educational Management, Leadership, Special Needs, Pedagogy, Comparative Education)
- Placement opportunities in local schools
Education (Leadership & Management)
The 2-year part time programme intends to train those who already work in the field of education and who wish to enrich their knowledge both theoretically as well as in practice, with special focus on topics of Management and Leadership in Education. Its flexible structure combined with block delivery on Saturdays and 1 weekday, make the MA Education an ideal choice for educational professionals.
The programme is relevant to:
- Employed educators, school counselors, practitioners and other professionals working in educational institutions and/or NGOs
- Graduates of Higher Educational (AEI-Greek State Universities) and Technological Educational Institutes (TEI), Colleges and foreign Universities, regardless of specialty, who want to build a career in the field of education
- Non graduates, holders of vocational training certificates (from Vocational Training Institutes (IEK) or HND or equivalent), having significant working experience in education
Requirements for registration:
- Copy of the latest certificate of studies (authenticated) *
- CV (in English)
- Letters of Recommendation (2)
- Good knowledge of English (IELTS 6.5 level or equivalent)
- Academic interview
- Photos (4)
- Copy of ID-card/ passport (authenticated)
*Candidates with no University degree are also encouraged to apply for the programme. Factors like professional qualifications, evidenced experience in education and indication of engagement in university studies contribute to the admission of non-degree holders on the MA Education.
The 2-year part-time programme comprises of six modules of 20 credits each, out of which four are core modules and two are specialization modules. It also includes the diploma thesis (Independent Study) during year 2 that is prepared, with individual tutor support, on a topic closely related to the student’s work interests. The programme content is practical and flexible, with the intention to enhance the professional specialization of the participants and integrate the already existing experiences and interests developed in the workplace. Through the modules, the participants will be provided with many interesting ideas and motives to think about their educational approach and practice and they will discover opportunities to improve their leadership and management skills.
According to the number of credits collected, the participants have the option to exit the programme and acquire intermediate qualifications, like the Postgraduate Certificate (60 credits) or the Postgraduate Diploma (120 credits).
|FALL SEMESTER||SPRING SEMESTER||SUMMER SEMESTER|
Teaching on the MA programme aims to include both lectures a range of other types of teaching and learning activities (e.g. student presentations, workshops, small-group activities). All modules are supported by our online learning environment, so that students can access materials online and support their independent study in between sessions.
- It is the only postgraduate Education course in Greece that concentrates on Education Management. Combining Education with Management, it provides professionals with specialised knowledge and skills in Education Leadership.
- The MA Education (Leadership & Management) is a part time 2-year course and leads to a Master of Education. During the course you will learn about key theories in Educational Leadership and Management and develop knowledge of their practical applicability in your own professional practice. We offer our students excellent teaching and learning facilities, a supportive and stimulating academic environment and the opportunity to work alongside specialists in their field.
- The course is fully recognised in Greece as professionally equivalent to a Master’s awarded by a Greek state University (recognition process through SAEP – Council for the Recognition of Professional Qualifications) and can also serve as a teacher’s qualification for non-Education graduates (e.g. mathematicians, physicists, musicians, etc).
- The University of Derby, according to the Guardian University Guide (2019), is placed among the TOP-18 UK Universities for studies in Education and ranks first in Greece among UK Universities represented in the country.
- All programmes offered by the Department of Education of the University of Derby have been assessed as ‘outstanding’ by Ofsted (Office for Standards in Education), the leading, independent association that assesses Education courses in the UK.
- Students attending this course usually come from different educational settings, who share their different experience in class and enhance each student’s opportunities for professional development.
- The programme can offer students optional placement opportunities in Education Management settings.
- Students have the opportunity to actively participate in the annual conference “MA Education Works” organised by the University of Derby, as well as in other Greek or international conferences.
- The programme is extremely flexible, both for its delivery pattern (Saturday block delivery and 1 weekday) and also for its ability to adapt to the particular interests and professional aspirations of students (by choosing assessment topics based on students’ work place).
- Students can exit the course in different points or attend particular modules and receive interim-exit awards (University Certificate of Achievement, Postgraduate Certificate ή Postgraduate Diploma), according to their accumulated credits.
- The programme does not include written exams. Students are assessed by alternative means, such as written essays, oral presentations, posters and portfolios.
- All academic staff are accredited lecturers of the University of Derby for every module they teach. Mediterranean College implements an integrated system of recruitment, assessment and continuing professional development of academic staff, so that students receive excellent teaching and personal support to develop their social and professional skills.
- The School of Education of Mediterranean College provides its students with extensive learning resources (early years workshop, library, electronic resources), sustains a wide network of industry partners (pre-schools centres, nurseries, schools, counselling centres) and organises multiple educational activities beyond the curriculum (conferences, experiential seminars and workshops, student showcases, etc).
- School of Education students actively participate in activities organised within the MC Employability Scheme, the College’s integrative employability development plan.
- The School of Education of Mediterranean College has an exclusive collaboration with the International Montessori Center in Perugia – Italy and is a sponsor of the European Dyslexia Association.
Graduates are holders of an accredited Master’s degree, professionally equivalent to those awarded by Greek Higher Education Institutions, and may enjoy the professional rights attached to their degree, after they proceed with the required recognition procedure by the Greek authorities.
Holding an MA Education (Leadership and Management) can lead to higher administrative, coordination and management positions in the field of Education:
- Post-secondary education and lifelong learning centres
- Governmental agencies
- Educational NGOs
If they wish to, they can continue for postgraduate studies to acquire a MPhil or a doctoral EdD or PhD.
I would describe my course in the graduate programme as a unique and valuable experience, at both educational and personal level. The specialisation in the field of learning disabilities was the goal and the means was personal work and proper guidance from notable and valuable fellow-teachers. The completion of this journey combines the happiness of personal satisfaction and the joy for the beautiful moments I spent with new colleagues who...
Violeta Pavgerou, MA Education: Special Educational Needs & Disability
With the education I received from Mediterranean college and my wise professors, I am now ready to explore and teach, not only in schools but my children one day! Thank you for the wonderful years I!!!...
Tran Mychie, BA (Hons) Early Childhood Studies
NOTHING WORTH HAVING COMES EASY... The road to get the Master degree was not easy ... With effort, help and moral support from my family and my beloved friends and fellow students, I managed to complete my graduate studies. HARD WORK + DREAMS + DEDICATION = SUCCESS ...
Panagiota Kokkinou, MA Education: Special Educational Needs & Disability