Mediterranean College “reaches” the Gold of teaching excellence.
Six years after its initial recognition, Mediterranean College’s UK partner, the University of Derby, has been once again nominated with the prestigious Gold Award for Teaching Excellence (TEF GOLD) in the 2023 Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF). This outstanding accomplishment demonstrates the university’s ongoing dedication to providing excellent education, as recognised by the UK Office for Students. TEF is a UK national scheme, which aims to encourage higher education institutions to raise standards of teaching, learning and student accomplishment. The University of Derby got a Gold rating overall, a Gold rating for student experience, and a Silver rating for learning outcomes, establishing its place among Britain’s top universities.
Beyond TEF Gold, The University of Derby has received other distinctions, including:
- According to the National Student Survey 2023, it is in the top 20 universities in the UK for assessment and feedback procedures.
- The Times and “The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2024” both rank it among the top 20 for teaching quality.
- The ‘Complete University Guide 2024’ also places it among the top 20 for total student satisfaction.
These accomplishments demonstrate the University of Derby’s persistent commitment to educational excellence, positioning it as the top choice for students aiming to succeed both academically and professionally.
Through a franchising agreement with the University of Derby, Mediterranean College couldn’t be prouder. Our multidimensional strategic partnership since 2010, is constantly growing and expanding with the introduction of new programmes and services. This collaboration highlights parity and alignment in teaching and learning, which Mediterranean College achieves through a robust system of faculty staff recruitment, induction, development, and training:
- Mediterranean College uses a comprehensive framework, which includes initial assessment by expert panels, demo-teaching sessions, orientation seminars, and mentorship programmes, for the appointment and integration of new lecturers.
- Following a thorough review and the University’s approval, staff at Mediterranean College are granted a University of Derby accredited lecturer status.
- The College’s faculty members undergo a 360-degree evaluation procedure that includes peer observations, student surveys, and shadow teaching to ensure ongoing feedback and pedagogical efficacy.
- A thorough annual Staff Development Plan with specialist sessions is deployed to continuously enhance lecturers’ teaching, learning, and assessment skills. Its highlight is the Learning & Teaching Festival (LTF), a three-day event held at the start of each academic year, comprising the Annual Faculty Assembly, the Learning & Teaching Conference, and specialized lectures and workshops.